Sunday Morning Worship 9:00 a.m. ~ Fellowship Time 10:00 a.m. ~ Christian Education for all ages 10:30 a.m.
Embury United Methodist Church
Monday, November 11, 2019
Search this site.View the site map.

History of Embury


A group of Methodists held their first meeting in the Columbia school house in Van Buren Township, Lee County, Iowa. They decided to build a church one mile south, across from the cemetery already there.; The land was deeded to the Methodist Church by Joseph and Mary Clark for the consideration of $1 on June 18, 1869. The Daily Gate City of Keokuk published an article on Friday, November 26, 1869 , telling of the dedication of the new Embury Methodist Church. 2003 will mark the 134th anniversary of Embury Church. 

In the beginning, Embury shared a circuit with Charleston and Farmington. When the Donnellson Methodist Church was built, it replaced Farmington on the circuit. In 1917, Clay Grove replaced Charleston, and in 1969 New Boston replaced Clay Grove. The New Boston Church closed in the early 1970's. Montrose joined Embury and Donnellson in a three-point charge from 1979 to 1989. Donnellson and Embury have been in a two-point charge since then. Embury is a member of the Mid-Lee County Council of Churches.
The basic structure of the sanctuary has remained the same, but additions have been made to the church over the years. A full basement with a kitchen were added along with a north room and a vestibule. In 2007 a fellowship hall with handicap access and new kitchen facilities were added along with air-conditioning. Improvements and repairs are made as needed, usually being done voluntarily by members and friends of the church.
Many young student ministers have started their ministry in our church and have continued successful careers at larger churches after leaving. The Ladies Aid Society was organized in 1906 and they were very instrumental in providing funds to help pay the minster's salary. In 1940 they reorganized and named the society the Women's Society of Christian Service. In 1968 they reorganized again, becoming  the Women's Society of Christian Service of the United Methodist Church. The organization's name was changed to United Methodist Women in 1973. From the beginning the main purpose of the women's group has remained missions. The United Methodist Women, with a current membership of 24, is an active and vital part of our church.
Church  membership has stayed close to 100 for a number of years. Attendance ranges from about 50 to 75 on Sunday morning. There are Sunday School classes for children and adults. Visitors and new members are welcomed warmly.
Music is an important part of Embury Church. The choir is active singing during worship from September through May. Many members share their musical talents. The men in the choir have formed a barbershop quartet. Embury has had Vacation Bible School every summer since 1948. Attendance has ranged from less than 20 to often over 50 and has included many children from the surrounding area, not just members and constituents of the church.
Some of  the traditional annual events include a soup supper, a pasta supper with bazar, homemade taco dinner,  an Easter Sunrise Service and breakfast, a summertime family day picnic, and a midnight Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. A number of local, national, and world mission projects are supported regularly. A new quilt is made each year to bee auctioned at the annual Bishop's Ingathering, the proceeds going to missions.
Embury Church holds a special place in the hearts of many people who have been blessed by its warm atmosphere and the faith and lover of the Embury family.